Introduction to Clinical SAS Programming
Clinical SAS Programming prepares the study summary tables, graphs, and data listening from the collected data by implementing various analysis methods.
What is SAS?
SAS stands for Statistical Analysis Software. The primary credit of the discovery of SAS is given to James Goodnight and others from Carolina state university. The main purpose of SAS was mine and agricultural research but soon the technology was adopted by several other operations, government, and educational patrons.
For an easy language, it is not just statistical software but also business intelligence and business analytics software. Nowadays, every corporation or business must require a SAS programmer for managing their analytic reports. The data is delivered to statisticians, clinicians, and medical writers.
Without a proper study, research, and reporting of the analysis the estimation might be wrong and a company will face several financial and marketing losses. That is why having a good SAS programmer is the primary requirement for a company and other businesses.
[ Recommended Reading: History of SAS software ]
Shall we dive deep into understanding clinical SAS programming?
For the analysis of clinical data in pharmaceutical, biotech, and clinical research firms, an application is used that is based on SAS technology to the clinical domain, that particular application is called Clinical SAS programming.
The programming is complex and includes various clinical SAS programming codes. The complexity can be determined by the proportion of successful clinical programmers; only 20 out of 100 programmers are capable of handling the workload and complexity of such critical programming.
[ You might also like: SAS Tutorials – Basics of SAS Programming ]
Why use Clinical SAS Programming for pharmaceutical companies?
As it is known that SAS is productive with data manipulation only if the programmer is skilled and experienced. The ordinary management and analysis of massive data is expensive and requires a lot of time and effort, especially in pharmaceutical and biotech companies. For a solution, Clinical SAS programming is the best alternative.
It will allow the users to open gigantic databases even on a computer. Earlier supercomputers were required to open gigantic databases. But now it is quite easier and saves a lot of time, only if a skilled and trained clinical SAS programmer is hired.
What is the scope of a Clinical SAS Programmer?
As of now, the COVID-19 pandemic has been a massive event in the medical field, that is why pharmaceutical and biotech. Corporations are supposed to maintain a record and prepare a gigantic database. It is not possible on any computer. But the SAS programming makes this work done within minutes.
In the 21st century, every pharmaceutical and biotech company must require a clinical SAS programmer to manage and analyse the data sets and databases. Without proper management and analysis reports, a corporation might face oversight issues.
With proper knowledge of clinical SAS programming codes and well qualification with a clinical SAS programmer course. A skilled SAS programmer will attain a high salary package and be well-reputed under a multinational pharmaceutical corporation.
Who is the clinical SAS programmer?
The Clinical SAS programmer is trained, skilled, and friendly with Clinical SAS programming codes. He will perform three different tasks i.e. input, analysis, and output. The output or data is then delivered to statisticians, clinicians, and medical writers. The brief procedure is as under:
- Input: reading in the source data by SAS software.
- Analysis: Determining the analysis results with their skills and knowledge.
- Output: presenting the analysis results to statisticians, clinicians, and other medical writers.
What are the responsibilities of a Clinical SAS Programmer?
It is one of the most responsible duties of being a Clinical SAS programmer. The job and responsibilities of a clinical SAS programmer are mentioned below:
- Manage hundreds of datasets: The databases are generally massive and require a proper series of SAS codes to examine and analyse.
- Manage thousands of data points: As the datasets are in hundreds, the data points might vary in several thousand or even in millions. So, managing them all with proper codes is the basic requirement and responsibility of Clinical SAS programmers.
- Understand all interdependencies of the data points: The responsibility of a Clinical SAS Programmer stands supreme. That’s why not only analysing but understanding all the interdependencies of data points with each other must be examined.
- Clinical SAS Programming is a tough cognitive activity and requires consecutive concentration and attention: It is a must for a Clinical SAS programmer to be certified from a clinical SAS programmer course. The course will lead to more passiveness and knowledge.
- Deliver precise, immediate, and reproducible examinations and analysis reports of data that specify the authorization of contemporary medications. The whole pharmaceutical corporation is interdependent on the analysis, so working efficiently, accurately, and timely is a must.
- Results: Provide well-researched, accurate, and examined data to the statistician. The incorrect data will lead to erroneous outcomes and the company might suffer.
What are the skills required for a clinical SAS programmer?
There are numerous skills and abilities required before being a clinical SAS programmer. Some of these skills and aptitudes are mentioned below:
- Clinical trial understanding: It is known that a clinical SAS programmer will have to work for a pharmaceutical corporation. So, he should be skilled in clinical trials and basic tribulations other than SAS programming.
- Industry collaboration: A SAS programmer must have the skills of collaboration with other industries to build inter-relations between them. He will attend all types of conferences and will manage microblogging sites, etc.
- SAS technical skills: As the job is of a clinical SAS programmer, that’s why the basic knowledge of SAS programming and codes is a necessity.
- Soft skills: Soft skills include skills like communication, interaction with other staff and board members.
- Basic understanding of statistics in a clinical trial: If the clinical SAS programmer has the skills of statistics then the scope of him of being selected in a better clinical corporate.
- Analyst mindset: Mindset is one of the biggest players in the game of SAS programmers. A clinical SAS programmer must-have skills like planning, decision-making execution, and problem-solving to overcome all the issues and matters that come in the pharmaceutical companies.
SAS Programming makes it easier for companies and businesses to manage and analyse gigantic data within a short time. Clinical SAS programming is especially based on the pharmaceutical and medical industries. Its codes and programming are wholly based on clinical analysis.